If you are in or are planning to leave a violent relationship, it is important to make a safety plan first. You should talk to someone you trust about your plan if possible.
- Plan with your children. Identify a safe place for them whether it’s a room with a lock or a neighbour’s house. Let them know that their job is to stay safe; not to protect you.
- Arrange a signal with a neighbour when you need help.
- Plan the safest time to get away. Know how you will leave and which doors or windows you will use.
- Know where you can get help by contacting POWA on 0116424345 for a list of safe spaces near you. If you cannot make time to contact POWA, head over to your nearest South African Police Services station and ask them to contact the relevant NGO or support organisation for help.
- Prepare an emergency kit that you can get to quickly. You may need to keep it at a trusted friend’s/neighbour’s house.