Ending Their Silence
- If you witness behaviour that you believe is violent or abusive, call the police anonymously or tell a community leader.
- Educate yourself and inform other people about women abuse. You can do this by arranging a talk at your church or local community group.
- Listen to, and believe, women who confide in you; ask her how you can help and what she needs to feel safer
- Don’t pressure or ask blaming questions to an abused woman.Remember that leaving or pursuing a protection can increase the threat of injury or death
- Respect that any information an abused woman gives you is confidential
- Support the survivor in all ways possible but listen to what they want. Reporting anything needs their consent
- Support the right of all women to live in safety.
2019 POWA (People Opposing Women Abuse), https://www.powa.co.za/POWA/
2019 Women Against Abuse; https://www.womenagainstabuse.org/take-action/ways-to-advocate