The misconception about abused women who stay is that ‘’it can’t be that bad’’. The reality is that there are many factors that don’t allow them to leave an abusive relationship.
- Financial dependence on the abuser.
- Lack of knowledge of her rights.
- Belief that the police can’t or won’t help her.
- Belief that she deserves the abuse.
- Belief that the abuser will change or that she can make it stop if she tries hard enough.
- The abuser may forbid her to see other people or threaten to harm people she cares for.
- Those she turns to for help may not believe her or blame her.
- Shame and embarrassment about the abuse.
- Belief that the children need their father.
Download the full ‘Women Abuse’ pamphlet here.
2019 POWA (People Opposing Women Abuse), https://www.powa.co.za/POWA/
Opens in new window